The conference is now over and we would like to thank all who attended as well as the speakers, our industry partners and the ‘worker bees’ who made the conference a great success.
We are uploading the presentations as and when we get permission from the authors to do so.
Some of the highlights of the International Conference on Living Walls and Ecosystem Services at the University of Greenwich were:
- An inspiring programme – The keynote lectures, oral presentations and posters presented the latest research on living walls and ecosystem services, complemented by an exhibition of living wall systems. We assembled a truly international line-up, with participants from the United States, Asia and Europe. The programme can be downloaded here.
- Practice-oriented workshops – Researchers, living wall designers, manufacturers and installers shared their knowledge and answered questions. Delegates were able to choose two of four workshops: system installation and maintenance; plant selection; valuation of ecosystem services; and living walls for vertical farming. Abstracts of the workshop talks, and of the other presentations, can be downloaded here.
- Living wall tours – Four walking tours of living walls in central London were included in the price of the conference ticket. An interactive map of the walks, which visit examples of the different types of systems, can be found here.
- Unique networking opportunities – The event featured the leading researchers and manufacturers of living wall systems from the UK and abroad. The conference programme allowed plenty of opportunities to mingle and talk. Photos from the conference can be found here.
- A fantastic location – The conference venue was a brand new £80 million building which lies within the Maritime Greenwich UNESCO World Heritage site, and which has been shortlisted for the 2015 RIBA Stirling Prize. Occupying the roofs of the new building are fourteen interlinked teaching gardens which cover an area of about twelve tennis courts, probably Europe’s largest teaching and learning green roof.
Conference organising committee
Benz Kotzen, Sarah Milliken & Shelley Mosco, Department of Architecture and Landscape, University of Greenwich.
Hosted by The University of Greenwich Green Roofs and Living Walls Centre